Good news regarding stiff sentences for the Kunsthal thieves. I wish that they could have received more time, however, based on their refusal to provide information about the current whereabouts of all of the works, since the idea that they were burned is actually still up in the air (according to some press reports and a source of mine in Romania). Furthermore, the fine for the man who attempted to fence the art is astonishingly low, making his misdeed almost a smart bet for someone who was asked to move millions in stolen art.
The main suspect in the Rotterdam Kunsthal art robbery has been jailed for six years eight months, by a court in Bucharest on Monday.
The sentence for Romanian national Adrian P, who has not admitted his role in the robbery, is in line with that handed down to the other two main defendants last year. The sentences are now definitive and there is no right of appeal, news agency ANP said.
The defendants have also been ordered to pay €18.1m in compensation for the theft, which is said to be the value of the stolen works.
The mother of one of the suspects, who says she burnt several of the paintings in the stove at her home, was jailed for two years. She later retracted that statement.
A sixth suspect, who tried to fence the stolen work, was fined the equivalent of €10,000.
The seven paintings, which include works by Monet, Picasso and Gauguin were stolen in October 2012. Their whereabouts is still unknown.